To encourage youth and support strong families and communities, try incorporating the Guiding Growth tips below into your daily routine
Practical Principle: Resistance Skills
Young person can resist negative peer pressure and dangerous situations.
- Teach your son or daughter the five effective ways to resist when faced with pressure to do something unsafe, unhealthy, or illegal:
1. Strong NO!
2. Walk away or leave the situation
3. Make an excuse as to why you cannot participate
4. Use a moral value to say No
5. And suggest an alternative activity to the negative behavior
- Have your child(ren) create their list of “non-negotiables”: beliefs, understandings, and situations that they will not participate in regardless of who asks them to. Sit down with them and align them with family expectations and create a way that the list can be with them in any and every situation.